Talking through the season so far at the Liverpool FC Academy, and what’s next for Barry Lewtas’s U23s and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson’s U18s.
Josh Sexton hosts John Gibbons and Goal.com’s Neil Jones…
Under-23s: 11th in the PL2, three wins, three draws, five losses
- Typically a strange outfit but could be even worse results wise this year
- EFL Trophy really ugly this year, was never about results but is it still working?
- Always say if you’ve got a really good 23s squad something is probably wrong
- Mitigating factors? Lot of main lads on loan, couple of injuries, young squad etc?
- Is it becoming harder to assess success at that level? Is it impossible externally?
Under-18s: 5th in the 18s PL, four wins, one draw, three losses
- Typically an exciting outfit and seems they’re absolutely allergic to draws
- 2nd in their UEFA Youth League group, play-off if you come second but have chance to pip Porto with them to play at home next
- Strong 11 but perhaps lacking a little in depth in terms of experience and age
- What do we need to see at this level to get us excited? Similar to 18-19 squad?
- Still loads to be excited about? Harvey Blair getting a game at senior was great