THEY tell a thousand words and all that. So with the 224th Merseyside Derby just a few hours away, here are 10 of the best pictures from David Rawcliffe’s Liverpool v Everton archive at Propaganda-Photo.
1. THE FLYING DUTCHMAN: Dirk does Derby Day at Goodison in 2007. The Reds won 2-1 thanks to two goals from Rafa Benitez’s ‘Duracell Bunny’
2. THRILLERS IN THE MIST: John Arne Riise and Tim Cahill battle for the ball in February 2007 as the sides played out a 0-0 Anfield draw. The Reds racked up 25 shots on goal but failed to score in the aftermath of Benitez’s ‘small club’ comments about Everton.
3. CARS CRASHED: Lee Carsley looks dejected after Fernando Torres settled the 207th Merseyside Derby with an early strike at Anfield in March 2008.
4. TWO EASY: Steven Gerrard celebrates the second of his hat-trick of goals against Everton at Anfield in March 2012. It made him the first Liverpool player to score three in the derby since Ian Rush claimed four at Goodison in 1982.
5. STOCKING FEAT: A sock lies on the Goodison Park turf after Reds had taunted Blues about their proposed move to Kirkby — a town full of ‘sockrobbers’ if local legend is to be believed. A deflected Gosling shot put the Reds out of the FA Cup in the fourth round replay in February 2009.
6. STEVIE WONDER: The skipper opens the scoring at Anfield in January 2009. Tim Cahill’s late equaliser saw the game finish 1-1.
7. GOODISON NARK: Luis Suarez celebrates sealing a 2-0 win on the wrong side of Stanley Park after Andy Carroll had opened the scoring in October 2011.
8. TAKING THE MICHAEL: Celebrations after Owen had opened the scoring at Goodison Park in a game Liverpool won 2-1 in April 2003.
9. ARMS AND DANGEROUS: Steven Gerrard opens the scoring at Anfield in January 2014 as the Reds went on to record their biggest Merseyside Derby win since 1982.
10. THE LOOK OF SHOVE: Tony Hibbert and Steven Gerrard after the Everton defender had floored his fellow Huytonian to give away a penalty. Liverpool won the Goodison match 2-1 in October 2007.