TAW contributors with talking points straight from the ground as Liverpool lost 2-0 to Hull City.
Light At The Back
We still need a quality centre half don’t we? Lucas has been great for us over the years but his days as a player in and around the first team are numbered. Klavan is 31 and is never going to be first choice, Gomez is still a kid and all about potential while Lovren, while improved, is still prone to being a dope. And I can’t be arsed with the 45 yard shots. @robbohuyton
Fucking hell. BUY A KEEPER. An actual keeper. One that dominates the box, that catches and punches. That can kick. That makes people think ‘shit, he’s a keeper, him’. I reckon it’s worth a try you know.
Mignolet’s setting the wall up the other day and can’t hear whistles. Today he’s providing an assist to an absolute dogshit side. Against Wolves Karius has hands made of smoke and decides he’ll just sit off and let a yard dog score in a matter of seconds. It’s fucking infuriating watching it over and again. Keeper’s make mistakes. Yeah. Not as many as ours though. @robbohuyton
Mignolet and Sturridge should be shifted in summer. Bring a goalscorer in who has pace and a keeper in his prime to teach Karius but mainly be our first choice. Dunno who that would be though. @jsexton24
Just stick Karius back in. @PhilBlundell
Can is a disgrace. Playing with 10 here basically. Absolute passenger first half. @PaulSenior1
Why’s Gini even been dropped? Can won a few headers against Chelsea but wouldn’t say it was a particularly great game from him and he’s been bang out of form. Wijnaldum’s just scored in one of our biggest games of the season but gets bombed out. Mad. @jsexton24
The away from home narrative innit? Same was levelled at him at Newcastle. @robbohuyton
Is that even something that’s been proven since he’s been with us though? I know he never scored for them away from home but feel like he’s had good games away since he’s been with us. @jsexton24
I know, but I’ve heard it at least four times on TV and radio today.
Can’s passing forward has been mad — he’s tried the telegraphed chip over and over. It’s not working, mate — stop doing it. @robbohuyton
I have been wondering recently if Clyne is fucking shit yanno.
I’d like a set of full-backs who are quick and get goals assists and that, it we are playing two deep midfielders. @PaulSenior1
Trent offers more going forward. @jsexton24
Well in games with 70 per cent possession he should be playing then. There needs to be a conversation about how Moreno would be such a bad thing in a side that does very little defending and lacks pace. @PaulSenior1
Been thinking this watching Milner recently. @jsexton24
Square pegs only work short term. @PaulSenior1
Moreno isn’t the answer to anything. @robbohuyton
Hull are crap and we’ve absolutely gifted them this. They’ve sat in and defended and fought, which they are entitled to do. But a decent keeper, a decent defence, doesn’t concede either of those goals. And that means as it gets later and later the more Hull panic, the more they tire, and the more likely Liverpool score. Absolutely wrapped it up and give them it. Shite, Liverpool. Shite.
Subscribe to TAW Player. @robbohuyton
Nail on the head there, Robbo. You can’t be a wrecking machine if you turn the pressure off, make them a cup of tea, give them a butty and then ask them if they mind getting back in the machine for a bit once they are fucking sound again. Soft goals kill momentum, belief, and me softly.
When you aren’t playing well your best players need to dig you out. Your centre forward needs to score out of nothing. Your centre mid needs to will the match in your favour. Your keeper needs to punch someone’s head off rather than pass it to their lad. We won’t win shit all without some more boss lads. Not clinical enough in either box. @Benjanijohnson
Pics: David Rawcliffe-Propaganda Photo
Like The Anfield Wrap on Facebook
Disgusted with thattoday
Utter shite. Terrifying how many players this month is suggesting we need to buy. It’s not just cover, we need to splash on so many first team players and their cover.
LB, possible RB (agree on Clyne comments, I’ve never seen what the fuss is about)
I’m seriously getting pissed off with our line ups at the moment, they make no sense. Can, with no arm, eyes or legs would still get in the team. He’s slower than the Titanic to turn around, and his distribution at the minute it is slow, inaccurate and ponderous at best. Lucas, thanks lad, but you’re done, you’re even slower than Can.
What’s worse, is the groundhog, repetitive, over and over attack versus defence realm of nightmares we have entered since that toilet lower league team turned up at Anfield and laughed all the way home.
2 banks of 4 and a tall or fast fellow up front and were basically fucked.
Mingolet the gift that keeps on giving. As he won’t be here next season we might as well play Karius for the rest of the season, at least we will know if we need two keepers.
Agree with this
Don’t know whether I was watching 2014 Chelsea playing us today or was it Hull.
I’m not surprised by the team’s performance, but I certainly was by Klopp’s continued approach to not have an answer to the bus parking abilities of the bottom 14 teams.
Yeah we need a new team, and all the usual cliches we been stating, but I was really looking for Jurgen to figure out by changing the tactics, team sheet and just maybe reverse the approach and park the bus and counter even.
Instead we turned into Sideways LFC again. Good job Klopp and now please go on to your stand-up comedy at the presser which will be in the moment.
Sorry but I am just very disappointed right now with the manager. Absolute rubbish today and looks just like Rodgers in his last full season.
City will win tomorrow as will the mancs. It’s theirs to throw away now. We’ve thrown our position long time back and settled for 6th or 8th.
And please TAW, stop writing articles about winning the league or any other long winded stuff about history and legends, etc. Those legends should never be compared in the same sentence as these arseholes.
Up the fuck-all Reds.
I remember an article not too long ago about why this team is better equipped than 08/09 or 13/14. What a joke.
I bet you didn’t let your utter contempt for that article be known at the time…?
Pls don’t have a go at TAW.. we all got as excited as each other. There was a lot to get excited about. The reality is one team got it right last year, everyone else sreuggled for consistency. Same again this year. Yes we have some BIG problems, but blaming everyone in sight isn’t going to help. Clearly if it was that easy to fix our problems Her Klopp would have done so. We are inflicted by the same problem all teams face from time to time, a lack of confidence. I am back Klopp to get us out of this and to learn from these issues as he builds the team over the next few years.
Up the Reds.
@Tom L, Yeah mate you’re right. I’m sorry I was just really angry as many of us were/are, and wasn’t trying to have a go at the TAW, but frustration set in, as I am sure they are upset too.
I just listened to Klopp’s post presser and it confuses me when he says he has to watch the game again etc to analyze what happened. Maybe playing coy with the press but I am sure he knows he wishes he bought some cover from somewhere.
I still think he is the right guy, but he needs to figure something quickly to keep us from freefall.
No fucking fight or will to win.
At the risk of repeating myself we need a new first choice keeper, centreback, leftback, striker and another midfielder and wide attacker.
Spend the fucking money.
We’ve made a profit in each of our last 3 transfer windows.
2 losses to foot-of-the-table teams in 2 weeks!!!
So sick of watching the team playing down to the level of their competition. Full of passion against Chelsea, full of pathos against Hull.
Nothing to say that hasn’t been said already, absolute fucking abysmal. The ease of their two goals were disgraceful.
I just pray to God Klopp has got good, essential players lined up for the summer. We’ve punched above our weight all season, we should’ve all known this, we did know this, and now that the chickens are coming home to roost it’s still sobering and depressing.
4th is by no meand out of the equation but fuck me we need to get our act together.
Moreno is the answer. The answer to the question – why is he still at the club after Norwich away & Basel?
My question doesn’t make sense but you get the drift
Something I read in the papers that brought it home to me. Chelsea had Pedro and Fabregas come off the bench against us. Those two have got more silverware, sadly, between them than our whole club has got in the last 25 years. And yet they were on the bench. And no one at Chelsea bats an eyelid or thinks it strange, not least given the massive wages they are on.
Our squad has a long way to go to have that depth. I get that Klopp doesn’t want to buy players for the sake of it, but are you really telling me that if we aren’t able to get a Draxler, a Brandt, a Dahoud, or whoever we are supposed to have wanted, that there are no other really good footballers – from the Dutch, French, Italian, Portuguese league or from South America – that we could have tried to pick up? I dont mean development players, I mean just 1 or 2 proper first team players. We desperately need 4th spot or above to kick on in our squad development because unlike United or City or Chelsea our owners are not going to spend huge sums to attract players to Anfield who would otherwise be put off by the lack of Champions League football.
There is a risk here that someone has made a serious misjudgement about this season. Our form earlier in the season was remarkable, so that may have blinded the club to the lack of squad depth.
However, it is also true that these are the same players who were in blistering form earlier in the season. It is so easy to say so and so is shite etc etc, and shouldn’t be near the team, and we need a new GK, CB, LB, DM, striker ad infinitem, which misses the point that earlier in the season we were all saying that the TEAM was much greater than the sum of its parts. That is what has unravelled so fast that it is scary, and I get the sense that JK doesn’t know what the heck is going on yet either.
@ Yog, you maybe onto something.
Our preseason against Barca and Mainz if anything offhandedly highlighted what the squad were capable of.
Klopp and maybe the TC seemed unfazed by it. What still puzzles me is that Klopp was here during the last winter, and then commented about it, yet grossly underestimated the demand?
Can’t guess the entire fixture list, but it’s not rocket science if you’re in the business.
Worried his targets for the summer then may also need to be added to, since he will clear house like Dortmund, but probably was going to hang on to his definition of potentials from this squad.
I came across this that was extracted from Borussia Dortmund subreddit post after the Hull match. It’s been hard to take these past few matches, so I at least I need to set aside my furstration, anger and have some patience to think about things. This helps a bit.
Please give this a read and let me know what you think:
“Now I want to quickly state this isn’t a call to be positive, or a post to call out those who are cynical. We all handle defeats and bad form differently. Some of us are pessimists, and thats fine, while others are overly optimistic, but that’s also fine. The point of this post was to get the views from the Borussia Dortmund fans on our situation. The consensus is that our squad isn’t that good, and we might not make top four. However, from their experience, we should be prepared for that, as it took them a while to get going under Klopp as well, and they were on the fence over players like Lewandowski and Mkhitaryan initially. We should prepare for some horrible results up ahead, yet, we should also be prepared to celebrate success. I’d like to apologize for any comments that might portray the fanbase as overreactionary or anything like that. You guys are the best, and there’s a reason why I come to this sub after a victory or defeat. Lets just wait it out and see what happens, and enjoy the ride. We’ll cuss out Emre Can and Simon Mignolet together, and we’ll drop our jaws at a Coutinho beauty together. It doesn’t matter what happens, because we still have a chance. Let me know what you guys think about the rest of the season, and a huge thank you to the Dortmund fans for taking out their time and letting us know their opinion on shit.”
1) The reason Jurgen Klopp doesn’t change his tactics is that he wants to play the team into them. He has the ability to tinker, as we saw against Man United and Man City, but won’t do it often to ensure the players really get behind the system. Maybe this means our players still haven’t adapted to Klopp’s playing style completely yet. Credit to /u/Loeffellux for that one.
2) If a player doesn’t one hundred percent buy into Klopp’s philosophy, he’ll get sold. This tells me that despite what we want to think, Daniel Sturridge probably doesn’t have much of a future here.
3) I found this one the most interesting: /u/Icantrememberlogins wrote that if a player looks shit, but Klopp believes in them, its worth being patient. He cites Schmelzer, Lewandowski, and Mkhitaryan as examples. This would probably be why he keeps selecting Emre Can, who has been garbage this season, but has looked world class in the Europa League games last season. I’d still play Gini personally, but Can isn’t going anywhere, because Klopp sees potential in him. While some of you may scoff at that, keep in mind Mkhitaryan was hot garbage until his last season at Dortmund, and Lewandowski didn’t become a regular starter until Lucas Barios left the club.
4) The BVB fans back Klopp to turn it around and get us into the top four. /u/TheTrolledOne thinks that Chelsea have just been too good for anyone this season, and that they’d probably win the Champions League if they were in it. I’d probably have to agree with that sentiment, because keep in mind, their entire starting XI bar Moses and Alonso have won league titles before. Meanwhile, outside of Milner, no one in our squad has lifted one of the major trophies of UCL, Premier League, or FA Cup before. We’re going through a major rebuild, and unlike City or United, we haven’t had any form of success in a major competition for a long, long time. /u/MrMountainFace says that even though clubs like City and United have top tier managers and have invested in world class players with their money warchests, we’ve still outperformed them thus far. He says we will stablize in time. Honestly, this really caught my eye, because while City and United have played out of this world at times this season, they’re currently in the same boat as us in terms of being in the middle of a rebuild. Their players have struggled for consistency throughout the season as well, which is why players like Kevin De Bruyne and Paul Pogba have been missing for large parts of the season; they’re not one hundred percent used to the manager’s tactics yet. It could be a reason why our players have dropped off recently as well.
5) They’re not a hundred percent sure what to make of our players. /u/Jonhl15 wrote that the absences of Coutinho, Mane, Dejan, and Matip have made us look a lot worse than we actually are. However, /u/Icantrememberlogins says that there are very few players at the current LFC squad that he’d take at BVB, which is a fair assessment imo. As to whether they’re good enough to finish top four, /u/MrMountainFace says we’ll have to hope tactics work and let things run their course.
6) Finally, /u/Icantrememberlogins mentions that City, United, and Chelsea are all under greater pressure than us to finish in the top four, considering their pedigree and success in recent years. There’s a high chance we won’t make top four, but that isn’t our focus is it? He writes that Klopp will obviously attempt to win every trophy, because that’s the type of manager that he is, but right now, he’s still working towards getting the right squad and giving key players minutes to ensure their consistency. We don’t have all the right pieces, but look at how long it took for Coutinho to become a world class player (and after today’s performance, debates over his consistency are going to start again). Origi, Emre, and Karius have had moments, but they’re going to need minutes and experience.